HOrailroading - Information and discussion on all aspects of HO scale model railroads


Making those toylike cars more useful - Larry L Doub

Converting Talgo Couplers - by Larry L Doub

Making those toylike cars more useful

Here are a few detail pictures of how to covert talgo trucked rolling stock over to be a better, and more useful car.

Photo1 shows new the truck mount.   Just cut out the frame area and glue in a piece of styrene, cut to fit, then drill the hole center location for the truck screw

In Photo 2  you can see how I mounted the Cushion Pocket.*   Use the same thickness of styrene and with a little trimming on the frame, coupler pocket, and maybe a little trimming of the car body, to get the pocket to sit level and the correct setting for the depth of the coupler pocket.

* Walthers Part #933-1030

The next two photos are of the completed car.   I added a few grab irons and cut the molded ladder rungs out using the molded part for hand made grabs.

The road number was hand painted with a tooth pick, to look like some prototype numbers you will find.   It was then weathered it down to be a well used car.

If you have the knack for this, it takes about 20 minutes to change one over using a fast set glue, not counting the weathering or grab irons.  I used ProWeld Liquid Glue.

This conversion makes for a lot better working car and they look better too.

Join Our Email Group